The Grammar Stream, 2021 onwards
“Engage, Contribute, and Lead”
The aims of the Grammar Stream are twofold:
- Develop the ‘academic breadth and ability’ of students beyond the normal provision of most secondary schools.
- Encourage the holistic growth of those individuals to help them succeed in whatever they choose to pursue in the future.
It is hoped that this will have several benefits:
- Entry to top universities
- Career development and adaptability
- Social mobility
What is the Grammar Stream?
The Grammar Stream consists of students who rank in the top echelons of their respective Year group, who commit to participate in certain ‘academic’ and ‘non-scholastic’ strands. The Grammar Stream runs parallel with Set 1, consisting of approximately the top 60 students in the Year group. Grammar Stream students not only fall within the top academic rankings, they also strive to develop their all-round character, as epitomised in the Grammar Stream motto ‘Engage, Contribute, and Lead’.
Entry and retention 2021 onwards:
All Year 7 students will complete a suite of baseline testing during Autumn term. The selection of students for the Grammar Stream is based upon the following (and will remain the same throughout Years 7-9):
- Having an overall rank above 60th
- Being in the top 30 for at least 3 subjects (not necessarily English, maths & science)
- Full participation in the academic and non-scholastic strands
- Maintaining an average attendance above 94%
- Maintaining high standards of behaviour, conduct and being a role-model for others.
NB: There is no longer an early-entry system into the Grammar Stream at Glenmoor and Winton Academies.
Please contact the Grammar Stream Coordinator, Mr Joshua Todd, if you have more questions.
Students in Year 8-11 as of September 2021 continue to follow the previous version and expectations of the Grammar Stream.